Month: January 2019

Pouch Laminator Terms

BACK ROLLERS Also, called the pull rollers, these provide the power to pull the finished pouches out of the pouch laminator. CARRIER A thick, silicon-coated paper pouch which is folded on one side, and allows pouches to be fed through a laminator without fear of wrap-arounds or excessive glue-ooze onto the rollers. CLOUDING An effect sometimes called “ghosting”, which is typically caused by the heat setting being too low, and the film adhesive not having enough heat to effectively activate and bond. COOLING TRAY A flat plate or surface at the rear of a pouch laminator which allows pouches...

Read More

Laminating Equipment & Systems Terms

AIR-SHAFT MANDREL A pneumatically activated mandrel used to fix or lock film rolls in place during the laminating process. ANTI-STATIC UNIT A device used on a laminating system to reduce or eliminate static electricity, which often causes feeding or stacking problems in the laminating process. BOTTOM MANDREL A bar or rod which typically mounts below the feed table of a two-sided laminator and holds the laminating film roll. BOTTOM-FED LAMINATOR A feeder used on laminators that feeds from the bottom of a short stack of prints or book covers; typically used in the on-demand production environment. CHILLER SYSTEM A...

Read More

Laminate and Finishing Terms

ACID FREE A type of laminate that does not contain any type of acid, which can damage paper, photos, and other types of sensitive prints or documents. ADHESIVE IN Also known as A/I, the term “Adhesive In” refers to the EVA or adhesive side (typically cloudy) of the film being wound inside the roll, with the polyester, nylon, or polypropylene side being out. Most thin laminates and 1” core laminates are typically wound “Adhesive In”. ADHESIVE OUT Also known as A/O, the term “Adhesive Out” refers to the EVA or adhesive side (typically cloudy) of the film being wound...

Read More